It’s been awhile since we’ve talked about SEO, hasn’t it? It’s that time again to discuss some very valuable SEO tips and tricks that you can implement. You probably already know just how important search engine optimization is for your business. On a scale of 1-10, SEO is a solid 75. It’s all about coming up with ways to increase your website’s appearance in users’ search results.
So, here are ten very valuable tips from the Business Insider to get started on SEO.
- “Monitor where you stand” To discover your SEO efforts are working for you you have to monitor your search standings. Keeping on eye on your page rank will help you know when to do more. It also might be smart to check in on where your visitors are coming from to find your site and what sorts of search terms they use.
- “Keywords, keywords, keywords!” Always be conscious of using the RIGHT keywords for all parts of your site. Think about your titles, image names, URLs, content, you get the picture. How would someone go about looking for your info? You need to think about these things in order to anticipate what your potential customers want. Remember that the title tag and the page header are the two most important places to put in your keywords. Just don’t over do it with the keywords. You don’t want to be thought of as a spammer.
- “Link back to yourself” A great technique to utilize for SEO. Integrate internal links within in your site. We’ve already talked about adding these links to your blogs. It’s a good way to link back to your archives when you’re creating new content. And the more relevant it is to the web page, the more likely it is to appear in the search results. Just as with the keywords, don’t over do it with the links. A link every other sentence is definitely overkill. Use the links strategically.
- “Create a sitemap” A sitemap is always a great idea to boost SEO. Create a space that links to all the other pages of the website. It’s a tool of optimization and makes it easier for spiders to search your site.
- “Search-friendly URLs” Your URLs should be– quite obviously– search engine friendly. Name them with clear keywords so that it’s easy to understand and find.
- “Avoid Flash” Okay, so Flash might look cool, but it’s not great for SEO. Frames, Flash and AJAX all have the same problem. You can’t link to a single page. Not super smart for optimizing for SEO, right?
- “Image descriptions” Okay, so here’s the deal. Spiders can’t search for pictures. It can only search for text. You need to add in keywords and such attached to your images– be as descriptive as you can. A good place to start is to add an image name by adding an ‘ALT’ tag. The text that surrounds your image is what’s valuable for SEO. Captions are also a good idea.
- “CONTENT” You should know where we’re going with this one. Creative and compelling and RELEVANT content should be a huge priority. Regularly updating and staying fresh is the best way to increase your traffic. If you seriously haven’t started a blog for your site yet, do so now. Literally, finish reading this blog and then go write your own! It will do wonders for your site, we promise. Just remember to keep your content relevant to what your customers what to read.
- “Social media distribution” You should know by now that a blog is just one aspect of social media. Provide relevant and fresh links across all of your social platforms. This multiplies the number of places where users can view your links! Great for your SEO!
- “Link to others” And finally, a great way to bring in more traffic is to start up relationships with other sites. You link to theirs and they link to yours. It’s win win for everyone involved. It’s about having a good web reputation.