Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been really thinking about mindsets and attitudes and how one small shift can make or break your experience. Perspective really is everything, folks. As we settle into the last few months of the year, it’s time to really focus on what matters.
But how do we do that, you ask? It’s easy! Entrepreneur.com packaged up 5 great mantras from successful business leaders we can all learn from.
- “Results rule. Period.” We’re focusing on what matters, remember? Obsessing over every click, comment, or call out does not matter. Results matter. Think about your actual goals and try not to confuse simple activity with real return on investment. Don’t worry about page follows, but rather building loyal and lasting customers.
- “No one is born great at this.” If you’re like me, you are probably constantly wishing for a clone or, better yet, for everyone else to be as smart as you. It takes time and perspective to realize no one is born amazing at things. Hard work, time, and PRACTICE build up someone’s knowledge base. Your employees are not going to be automatically perfect– it’s up to you to help guide and teach so they can learn. The learning curve is real people, so let’s not hold people to unrealistic standards when we know it takes time to develop strategy.
- “Your life will not be celebrated for how much you worked.” The cliche is so real: a work/life balance is important. It’s okay to work hard, but make sure you’re not dedicating your entire life to work 100% of the time. That’s how you burn yourself out or make mistakes. Success comes when you work smarter, not harder. Give yourself time to enjoy life and you will be a happier, more productive leader.
- “You aren’t supposed to be good at everything.” Everything in life comes down to balance. You don’t need to be great at everything or wear ALL the hats. Get great at what you do and let others get great at what they do. That way, we can all come together and produce an even better holistic picture. When you spend more time on what you love and what you’re good at, you will be much happier in the long term, which ultimately means better quality work.
- “Building one half of a bunch of bridges will never get you to the other side.” Wow, let’s reread this one, shall me? “Building one half of a bunch of bridges will never get you to the other side.” Sometimes I need an extra reminder on this because I get so excited about things and I want to start a new project. However, I know that starting a bunch of projects will not help me achieve my goals. If anything, it hinders them because at the end of it all, I’ve got a handful of half-finished projects. Make sure to focus on the few and really invest time into completing them!
See? It’s so simple to shift your mindset and create a better work and life flow. Try out these simple tips and let us know how it goes!